Jun 5, 2011

Death by Falling: Revisions and Simulation

One thing I realized while looking over my last post was that I only showed chance of death by impact velocity, not by distance.  Of course, you could calculate distances yourself, but I want to be more helpful than that (see second graph below).  Also, I've been bothered by my assumption of how many meters tall a "floor" is.  I had originally used the average height of the Empire State Building (12' per floor), but later used 3.5m.  This morning I checked out a resource for average floor heights by building type, and used those numbers instead, assuming that Ramos's and Delany's data was mostly from residential buildings.  Here is the revised graph of probabilities of death by impact velocity:

Here is the graph that I have put together from my estimates for chance of death for an average person by distance fallen, as well as two possible dice systems for simulation:

So, for a 3d6 system, you would try to roll higher than or equal to (meters_fallen - 9).  For a 3d10 system, just roll higher than or equal to the number of meters fallen.  For elderly characters, maybe add 2 to the number of meters fallen, or multiply by 1.5.  For children or acrobats, maybe subtract 1 from meters fallen, or multiply meters by .8.  Remember that even survivors are typically severely injured, even from falls of as little as 3m, and can require extensive medical treatment.   

No comments:

Post a Comment